Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fall Equinox

Happy Fall. I'm not suited to say this because I'm not happy, but happy fall anyway. If I lived in any other part of the country, leaves would be turning red and orange and other pretty colors, but I don't, and the trees are green, and life sucks. I know I sound whinny and childish, but I slept 5 hours last night and the night before so I don't give a damn.

Rose and Teresa were being such bitches in Ac Dec today. (Oh yes. I've abandoned the use of nicknames, partly because people won't get confused and party because I don't care by some freak of nature they find this. They should know how they are.) We had to prepare 30-60 seconds of our speech, and Michele's topic is why the German school system is better than the American one. She started off with a line about the German school system, in German, then translated it and got to her point, using German terms in between. While she was talking, Rose and Tai kept whispering to each other about her speech, how it was confusing, how it sounded bad, blah stuff. And Michele knew they were talking about her while she was presenting because she kept looking at them, and I am pretty sure they knew she knew.

Then, after Michele finished, Garrity critiqued it as he does with all our speeches. He said the German line Michele said at the beginning was kind of confusing because Michele naturally talks fast, and it was in German. Then he asked the class, "Do you guys agree with me?" Rose and Tai responded IMMEDIATELY. Both said, "Yeah!" and Rose even said, "It sounds like gibberish." Which is DOESN'T. I don't actually like the sound of German, but when Michele says it, it's pretty. I don't know how else to describe it. She talks like it's natural, and she kind of looks Aryan too (blond hair, but light brown eyes), so it looks like she really knows what she's talking about based off of appearances alone. I was really glad when Brian Shapiro disagreed with them. He said something like, "No, I thought her first line was really interesting. She's saying something in a foreign language, so it immediately make me think 'What is she saying?' and it grabs my attention."

I also know Rose and Tai were being harsh on Michele for the sake of disagreement, because the opening of my speech was no better than hers, and no one but Becky spoke up when Garrity pointed out how rough it was. Both are right because I wrote it during tutorial without much thought. Becky's speech is AWESOME though. Her topic is "What is the Mona Lisa really thinking?" and she starts off with somthing like, "I can see her looking at she, a smirk across her mouth. [insert other cool stuff only Becky can make sound good here] ... Why does she inspires so many when all she does is hang from a completely uninspiring wall? Why is it that she is more well known than a Van Gough, or a Michelangelo? It is because she is Mona Lisa." Reading the words don't even compare to how great it is when Becky actually says it. The topic's so whack that no one be Becky would be able to pull off, and it's amazing when she does it. But I digress.

Becky was the only one who gave me feedback for my intro, and I know she was trying to help. Whereas Rose and Tai didn't say anything to me, but were critiquing Michele while she was talking. Talk about rude, disrespectful, and bitchy. At the very least, they could've honestly critiqued her and should've been respectful enough to shut up while she was talking.

I know Michele was hurt because Karla was talking to her during break, and she told Karla stuff, and I know Brain agrees with me because I talked to him after class. He also agrees on me that Rose is a lot like Sakura. They are both really smart, but Rose lacks a lot of wisdom. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.

This year is going to be hell, and not just because of my screwed up social life. In English, we started analyzing how Heart of Darkness is an allegory to Dante's "Inferno," and how he descendes into the 9 levels of hell. Some say high school is like Purgatory because we have to suffer, and we do eventualy get out, but I think it's more like descending into hell. "Abandon hope, all those who enter." That should be posted on every entrance to school. "The horror! The horror!" should be posted on the walls instead of those quotes that are nice, but have no application to life. I need to know how Dante escaped from hell. Maybe I should read the Divine Comedy. Then again, I doubt I'll understand half the things he wanted people to. Maybe I should stop thinking so much. If Dante and Marlow could go to hell and back, I hope I can too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the Bird Lady. Alright, so it actually says I'm under the "Singing Ensemble" and I'm La Fille de l'Oiseux. Kathy said it meant bird woman, so that's kool. I'm Fallon's double.. Or triple. I don't understand the casts and how it works. Meh. I'll find out soon enough! I'll try calling you this weekend. I'm really busy though cause I have to study for my first APUSH test, and then I'm going over to Jakes for a party and my first driving lesson and then a babyshower on sunday for my dad's worker's wife. LOL. So much!!!!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home