Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Contemplations on Summer

I miss FictionPress. Not the site, not the writing, not the reviews. But the people. I miss how...united we were when we were trying to find Princess Mulan and how it felt like we were a little family. In my mind, I attribute the breaking up of our little group to the fact that we actually found out Mulan was ok. Then we didn't really have a purpose to come online and come in close touch.

Plus, school started not long after and everyone was busy with stuff. I think I stopped posting a year after that summer...so it should be the summer of 2004, because I remember writing something before I left for San Jose. I still visited last year, off and on, but then I stopped completely. For some reason, my inconsistency makes me feel sad. I know things change and life goes on, and I doubt I'll post at FictionPress again, or if I do, it won't be under the same name. But still, a part of me misses the people and how much I learned about their different cultures. For one thing, British is not the same language as English.

*sigh* Summer makes me feel melancholy...I associate too many things I miss with summer. Like moving from San Jose the summer after 6th grade, and then moving here after 7th grade. Although I don't miss Irvine. Going back there this summer for my SAT prep course is going to be hard. Ugh, there are too many stereotypes and no individuality. I kind of wonder...what if someone I used to know goes to the same course? I have no idea what I'll do. I'll deal with it when I get there. I had better learn something from that class, because I only want to take my SATS once and get a good score. Meh.

Anyway, I think I'm an existentialist. (Weird transition, I know, sorry) I like the story about the monk and the tigers Dr. Corbett told us: There's a monk in a forest and he sees a tiger. The tiger starts chasing him, so the monk runs for his life. Pretty soon, he reaches a cliff. He looks down, and all the way below him is another tiger. So he's trapped between the tiger chasing him and the tiger below him. If he stays, he dies; if he jumps, he dies. He sees a grape vine growing on the face of the cliff. The monk decides to jump and catch the vine. So now he's on the face of the cliff, hanging on the vine. On the grapevine are a couple grapes. Facing death in both directions, the monk swings over and eats the grapes. I like that idea, that life is what you make it.

*sigh* I'm going to miss art history. I know I must have said that a billion time already, but I thought of that again. Today, we watched Citizen Kane, which, according to Corbett, is the greatest movie ever produced by Hollywood for it's framing of the scenes, usage of light, transitions, and other elements. It was mainly hilarious because Kevin kept making dumb comments to mimick Corbett, like "look at the usage of negative space!" "look, the closing of the door is a symbol of fertility!" "look at the positioning of the figures and how each person walks into the space left by the last person!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home