Tuesday, May 02, 2006

AP Stats Exam

Ah...well, it's over.

I'm extremely tired right now. I didn't get any sleep Sunday night because I was so, so stressed out, and I didn't fall asleep until pretty late last night. Because I feel like talking, I'll write down the whole thing from start to finish.

When I got to stats, me and Denice just sat and reviewed; it was mostly me talking and Denice doing something and listening. She taught me the first steps to solving the Rubix cube. That was fun. ^_^ Then a couple hours later, Kucera ordered Costco pizza for us. I only ate one slice because I think it's really quite stupid to eat complete crap before an exam. I also ate an orange from home and some yogurt. I didn't eat my sandwhich because I didn't want to eat too much.

At 12:30, we went to the gym, where we take our test. Kucera had to leave us (she's not allowed to be there while we're testing) and the proctors took over. We filled out a bunch of complete junk for an hour...social security, parent's education, legal name, street adress, do you want your score to be sent to collages? et cetera, et cetera.

Then we did the multiple choice first, and that wasn't so bad. There were a couple I didn't know, and there was one that confused everyone because we all thought we knew what it was suppose to be, but it was none of the choices. It gave 1.3 as the population standard deviation, 12 as a same size, and asked for the sample standard deviation, which should be 1.3/rad 12. I guessed C because it contained a radical, and standard deviation usually does. There were other confusing ones, like one about a t distribution...I narrowed it down and guessed, but I'm not sure if it's correct. Then again, isn't that what guessing is? ^_~

So then we get a 10 minutes break and Kucera provided us with snacks which was really nice. Then, onto the written part. Two words: IT SUCKED! Reeeally bad. Here's my breakdown:
#1 was about launchers and it had to do with dotplots and the spread of them. That one was alright, I answered all parts of the question, and it invovled minimun calculation. I just hope my explaination wasn't totally dumb.

#2 was about a scatter plot and it ASKED US TO INTERPRET S AND SE! THE VERY VARIABLES KUCERA SAID WE DIDN'T NEED TO KNOW!!! ARGHHHH! Obviously, I didn't know it so I made up stuff. I said S was the standard deviation of the data, and my answer for SE was complete BS.

#3 was probability. The first time I read it, I didn't get it at all, so I completely skipped it, and I went back to it at the end, with about 5 minutes left. At first, I made up some stuff because I really couldn't think of the answer, and then with 10 seconds left, it hits me! Right on the head! (Not literally...) But I don't have time to show any work, so I just calculated my answer. I doubt I'll be getting many points for it. I was in the middle of scribbling down the answer for part two when time ran out, and I didn't even fully read part three.

#4 I did. It was about tiger shrimp and designing and experiment. I answer all parts of the question, so that was good.

#5 I also did. It involved a confidence interval. I know I answered all parts of the quesiton, but I don't think I did too well on it in general. I'm totally not sure if I got it right because it had a single sample, but it was broken into two different samples, so I did a two sample t interval even though there weren't technically two samples.

#6 was the weirdest question in the world. Usually 6 is because it's the investagative task and they have us do weird things. First it asked for the null and alternate hypothesis to the problem. The weird thing with that was the problem talked about variance, and at first I thought it was centered around that, but then I changed it to mean because variance isn't something you test for. Mean is. Then it gave a totally weird test statistic and said to run a chi squared test! The problem was NOT a chi squared problem! So I stated that, but then I did it anyway because Kucera always said that if something didn't meet the requirements to run a test, say it, then do it nonetheless. Then it got really weird and asked for the smallest test statistic needed to reject the null hypothesis, and I spent SOOO much time doint trial and error on that! Then there were graphs and we had to work with and interpret some stuff with those.

I don't know what's with me and grades. Yeah, I'm obssessive, but I really had a problem last night, and then I realized, what does it matter if I totally bomb it? Answer: it DOESN'T. A number does NOT change who I am, or my life. And who cares if I don't get into an Ivy League school? I don't. Actually, I would be very honored if I did get in, but I might not accept anyway, haha. I know that'd be a stupid thing to do...but anyway, it's over. The range for a 5 is from 68-100, so that's pretty wide. I mean, in how many other classes can you get the percentile of a D and get a 5?

So yeah, that sums up the exam...now onto Euro on Friday. I'll study tomorrow because I'm wiped out. Oh, wait, speaking of Euro. Someone stole the answers to the midterm that we took on Monday. I CANNOT believe someone would actually do that. How low can you GET? I'm obssessive, and I know it shows, but I would NEVER do something like that. You get what you get. If you're really smart, you learn from what you didn't get. You do not steal the answers and make everyone else suffer. We're going to be doing work for the rest of the year because of this, even after exams. Honestly, though, this is kind of an opportunity for me. I won't be doing anything in Art or Stats after AP exams, so I can fully concentrate on Euro and work on that until school's over.

Anyway...I'll shut up now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home